Monday 23 March 2009

Bristol - Berlin : Training Diary


Bristol to Bagshot (via Salisbury Plain)


The flight of locks at Caen Hill, Devizes.
I'm not going mad, it is possible to ride a fixed gear, with luggage for 100 miles!


After shaking off a dratted chest infection I wasn't sure if I'd be feeling fit enough for my planned 'dry run' across to Mum and Dad's in Surrey.

It was OK as a) I felt fully recovered and b) the weather was amazing.
A great ride, re-visiting some old haunts, the flight of locks at Caen Hill (29 locks in a continous flight on the Kennet and Avon canal) where we used to take the narrow boats and then riding across Salisbury Plain past Tidworth - the army town where Karen and I were born.

I changed to an 18 tooth cog on the back - only one tooth more than I usually ride but I'm convinced it made all the difference!

The carradice saddle bag was great - it's small so it's going to limit the amount of stuff. I'm convinced the only way to tour on a fixed gear is with a minimal amount of luggage. Keeping everything down to basics is fun - I must have re-packed the bag half a dozen times! Do I really need this jersey??? Can I manage with one less pair of socks???

Unforunately the tool bag still feels too heavy.

I'm really looking forward to getting to Holland and Germany and riding traffic free paths and minor roads. The driving this weekend was shocking! Fortunately nothing that impacted on me too much, but the sunshine seemed to draw people outdoors, indulging in manic, suicidal driving.

2 comments:

totterdown said...

Getting to clean the car at the other end must have made your trip! I'm so good to you. x

totterdown said...

I am funny (in the head)