Thursday 9 April 2009

Bristol - Berlin Update


Münster - Höxter
Another big day but one that went smoothly - mainly thanks to a good nights sleep and my current close companions Ibuprofen and Bio-Freeze!

More huge open landscapes and more road mileage, avoiding some of the more meandering parts of the R1 in favour of fast easy pedalling. Too much stop start riding and I could sense my legs and ankles getting disgruntles again. The batteries died on the camera but i'm not sure how many huge open fields and distant horizons i wanted to record.

The descent into Höxter was a gem - you could see the hills around the town from some distance and I chose the waymarked route for the final 10 miles and was really glad that I did. A fast bike track clung to the edge of the hills and zipped down past tall woodlands and streams into the town.

The hostel was up a bitch of a climb but the reward was a terrific view from my room of the Weser valley and more wooded hills.

There was group of teenagers with special needs staying at the hostel. one of the boys got told off for descending on me as soon as he saw me open my packet of banana chips. They were really cool and were a bit fascinated by this weird english cyclist and his tall tales of long distance cycling. After another huge breakfast - (the boys consumed huge amounts of nutella) I was given a great send off with much high-fiving and exclamations of "it's a new world record ... 1000km in 5 days".

Quite an emotional couple of day really!

1 comment:

totterdown said...

Therweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!